1. Penis jokes re-establish the gender binary, with the assumption that all men have penises in the first place.
2. Penis jokes make the wrongful assumption that pleasure and power are tied to large penises.
3. Tying pleasure and power to large penises has direct correlation to many of the things women complain about on the internet, like how many “Do you want to see my big dick?” OkCupid messages have you gotten?
4. It ties the worth of a human being to a physical aspect of their body, something unchangeable. Many men struggle with image issues surrounding their genitalia resulting in unsafe pills and prescriptions they don’t need.
5. Feminism is about equality, not bringing men down to bring women up.
I’m all too guilty of making “looks like he has something to make up for” jokes. I think it’s important that people are aware of how they are contributing to the emotional stress that many men have about size. I don’t think it contributes to female empowerment when we put down men. Not to mention, every time a joke about tiny penises are made, we are enforcing this strange idea that giant penises somehow have more worth established to them. This is not sex-positive.
Just a reminder to be more cognizant of how you’re contributing to this conversation and to try to move away from the demoralizing jokes. Love your bodies, and encourage others to do the same.